Director of Marketing
Propel Fuels, Inc.
Propel’s mission is to connect consumers to better fuels. As a pioneer in clean fuel retail, Propel features both Flex Fuel E85 and Diesel HPR, fuels that increase vehicle performance, provide better value and reduce harmful emissions. Propel stations can be found in California and Washington state.
As Propel has evolved its products, services and geographic footprint, having a deep understanding of its customers has been essential to anchor decisions. From a demographic profile to understanding brand perceptions, Lux has conducted two point-of-sale intercept research projects for Propel since 2012, tracking changes in its customer base.
Propel’s research whitepaper: https://propelworkshop.com/research/low-carbon-consumer
Identify triggers for Propel fuel usage and ways to improve loyalty. Understand brand position in the eyes of their customers and monitor shifts in demographic composition.
- In-person intercept surveys conducted at 11 different Propel stations across California using tablets.
- Customers were approached by interviewers while fueling up, and enticed to participate with the opportunity to win a $500 fuel card.
- Propel has substantially grown customer loyalty over the past 3 years, with share of wallet and the average distance travelled to a Propel station also growing.
- Customer profiles show differences depending on the type of fuel used, which opens the door for more targeted marketing strategies.
- Demonstrated strength in product value proposition, customer loyalty and engagement, supporting the case for further investment to grow the brand and its retail reach.
- Clearly differentiated product segments which allow for better targeting in marketing.